Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Trevor Davis - worth the trouble.

above is MY selection for the first ribbon award at the San Clemente People's Choice Art Gallery

SUNDAY serena and I made another trip down to San Clemente - about 30 minutes south - to fellowship with the "S-Crew", that is, Shoreline christian church. We were recruited by Brynne - hardly - for the Shoreline "Bowl Bash" - a friendly, but competitive, 2-hand touch football tournament. It was a sweet time. Brynne was most successful - her team took 2nd, my team was 2nd TO LAST, and Serena fell somewhere between. I managed an interception, count it: ONE... a couple completions and a handful of blocks (blocking is by far the most fun, yet painful - second to getting tackled/lit-up).

it's funny when Brynne or I introduce each other to our amigos because its never simple: "My sister-in-Law's sister" for Brynne or "My sister's sister-in Law" for me or "my brother married her sister"... "my sister married her brother." yeeeah I think you've got the point. even if I was like, "this is my friend, Brynne" the follow-up question is usually "so how do you know each other?" - which brings us back to the original predicament. i enjoy it, nonetheless.

after the bowl bash we enjoyed a little Golden Spoon soft serve - Serena's car must have been watching us through the wall to wall windows and felt a smidge left out because it decided to pout and NOT START and flash the battery light indignantly. geeeeeez...what a car will do for a little attention. I mentioned that I had AAA, then Brynne added that she did too, and then we looked at Serena who finished, "I have AAA as well." - so no worries about being stranded. Serena didn't have any jumper cables, but the guy behind the Golden Spoon counter DID and we used his co-worker's truck to charge the battery. I gave the suspenseful 10 second countdown - pausing around 3 and 1 - Serena then turned the key in the ignition AND THE ENGINE ROARED yay.


we were a little low on gas so after departing the 'spoon we stopped at a Chevron where Serena TURNED THE ENGINE OFF and I proceeded to fill it up. when finished Serena went to check to see if the car would start AND BY NO SURPRISE, I assure you, we found that it didn't. we skipped into the mini mart where she bought some jumper cables and we searched the parking lot for our victim: dude in a big truck CASH MONEY. so the guy was all about helping us out and he lined the hood of his big black monster up with the little red honda civic and with the intervention of a 'grease monkey', GEORGE (that's what his EZ Lube employee name tag read), we learned that IT WASN'T the battery BUT THE STARTER that was not working properly. so GEORGE jump started the 5-speed while Serena, Mr. Truck and I pushed it trough the Chevron lot.

so we got it started once again, sweet, but now we were faced with the decision of heading back to fullerton (safe) or continuing the day's plan to San Diego (risk) where we were to meet up with Jess, the roomie, @ Horizon Christian Fellowship to see Trevor Davis perform live. truth is, I don't think either of us even gave it a thought, and before we knew it we were racing the sunset down the 5 south.

about 40 minutes later we arrived at HCF... thanks to directions that were beautifully explained by JESSICA.... check this out: "turn Left on Mt. Alifan. shell station on left, arco on right. keep going straight all the way pass 2 light turn left @ stop sign turn left @ first left (pass: strikethrough) after the stop sign." OK JESS thanks for that.

the sunday night service was called LOUD AND CLEAR. it was a small gathering with an exceptional band and sweet light effects - concert esque. Phillip MacIntosh, the son of Mike - Horizon Pastor, spoke in I Tim... it was short and sweet, which was perfect because Serena and I were nearly in the red zone on the nodding off scale.

TREVOR DAVIS, finally. HE WAS AMAZING. I have never heard ANYONE live with such an amazing vocal range combined with such a sweet style. It's a little blues/jazz/rock/pop... whatever it is I LOVE IT and his lyrics, they are brilliant - GRACE, it's literary genius, really. After the show we had a little chat and he's a very humble dude - i guess he used to be extra shy to the stage in the past, but you would never have noticed... definitely owned the stage Sunday night. he said he tries to make it up to the OC once a month and we will hopefully meet up with him again at the Plush Cafe or Irvine Spectrum. Last time we planned to attend a show was after our Regional Final against Master's College when I busted my forehead open and spent the evening in the ER with serena. doesn't he kind of look like my cousin Jesse... or Jon a little bit?... definitely could be a collins


serena was not happy about the car problemas


we headed back to the car WHICH REFUSED TO START AGAIN... we probably overlooked the fact that it, too, traveled all this way to see Trevor and we left it sitting alone in the parking lot - just punishing us. a Loud & Clear guy came to the rescue and jump started the civic while a handful of rascals pushed it down a decline. Jessica directed us to her In N Out for a pit stop before we headed back to Fullerton - and don't worry, we didn't cut the engine, we went through the drive thru. funny thing, though, I unrolled (did i just say unroll?) i mean i rolled down the window to say adios to Jess and it wouldn't roll back up. GREAT - I immediately imagined a completely peaceful trip listening to brian regan COMPLETELY destroyed by the wind gushing uncomfortably loud and into my face while driving on the 5 and I started to get chills. I guess I previously had shut the door too hard and the window went off-track. I managed to manually fix it for the time being, so we put it on child lock, blasted Brian to drown out the little amount of air that managed to squeak and whistle through the small gap air between windown and door frame AND WERE DONE WITH IT. After inhaling our burgers and fries we both looked at each other... and the consensus: "Trevor was definitely worth it, no question."

No comments: