Sunday, August 14, 2005

road trip


Mom and I started heading South from Portland at 8am. In Medford we stopped for a bite around 11ish and then crossed the California border right at noon. At Weed we took advantage of a Rest Area with a sweet view of Mt. Shasta. It was there that we swapped drivers - I, unfortunately, hit an hour and a half tail-gate party on the 5 through Sacramento.
The sun was getting ready to go down when we were a few hours South of Stockton. Civilization was getting sparse so Mom didn't want to take the risk of running low on gas in the middle of nowhere. I suggested that at 8pm we stop at the first place we find. We spotted a Best Western accompanied by a few gas stations and a couple restuarants. So we filled up, grabbed a bite, and got a room. 12 hours driving in 1 day wasn't too shabby - I was satisfied. In the room I powered up my lap top and found our Hotel on satellite. We were in Firebaugh, a farming community, just about 4 to 5 hours north of the Yamamotos in Laguna Beach - Saturday's drive was gonna be a sinch. I was a little concerned about how much oil the 'lude had burned on the trip so far. First thing Saturday morning a checked under the hood to find that it was running on little to none - yikes - so I added the appropriate amount (good thing we hadn't decided to drive for a couple more hours - that could have been bad news). After checking the oil we enjoyed the continental breakfast.
Saturday's drive from Firebaugh to Laguna Beach wasn't too bad, though mom hit bumper to bumper just south of LA. We stopped at IN N OUT and did a little grocery shopping in Placentia - near HIU. We found ourselves incredibly exhausted so back into the 'lude and back on the road to complete the final stretch. We arrived at the Yamamotos of Laguna Beach around 3:30 safe and sound. Terou and Shari are very kind and loving and the perfect hosts - any time spent with them or at their home is incredibly refreshing and relaxing. Sunday morning mom and I attended Calvary Chapel of Costa Mesa to hear Chuck Smith preach. There was this huge guy with rosy cheeks who sang Radshak, Mishak, and Obendigo (spelling? sorry) - it seemed fitting for a broadway musical. The service was good, but I still enjoy Christ's Church of Federal Way more. After church Mom and I went to Wahoo's - the best place ever. If you've never been you should go, and if you don't live in California or the surrounding area (I think there's some in Colorado too) you should try to find one if you are ever around. Check more out about it at wahoos.com and check out their history at http://www.wahoos.com/index2.html. After we enjoyed the best lunch EVER imagined, I dropped mom off at John Wayne, said "goodbye-i'll miss you-I love you" and headed to HIU to report to traning camp.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a great trip, I had a blast - you are a lot of fun to hang out with!
mom

jon said...

Glad you guys made it safe. I don't know about calling the prelude a 'lude. it doesn't sound like a name I would want to be called.