Wednesday, January 18, 2006

cold and expired

sunset
smoggy
flooded

it has only rained twice since I've been back from woarshington - been a little over 3 weeks now. in fact, its been incredibly sunny and warm and we've even hit the 80's a few times. i would go lay out by the pool here at hiu and read the beach, and go to a nearby field and kick the ball around... besides coaching soccer and going to softball practice, everyday outside from 1pm to 7pm, that's pretty much what i'd do. my LM girls would complain about the heat during conditioning, but during softball the sun would start going down - when that happens it's a completely different story - that's when it gets uncomfortably cold, and that's when we play indoor soccer... sometimes we manage outside in the courtyard when the gym is being used by men's volleyball or the basketball teams, but for the most part we keep to the great indoors. one small-little-miniscule problem: THE DORMITORIES. yeeees so its been arctic every night, less artic during the days, in the dorms. I really never gave it much thought, just that its winter and since my room isn't in the sun it makes sense that its freezing cold. Before bed I put on sweats and sweatshirts and socks and snuggle under two comforters - only to wake too hot and a little sweaty in the wee hours of the morning, strip off my layers half-sleeping - including one comforter - and ultimately wake around 9am freezing again. Some evenings when we are just kicking it in the room and watching movies or various tv show seasons - which reminds me on Tuesday night/last night I FORGOT TO WATCH GILMORE GIRLS, but jess saved the day and taped it while she was in palm desert - anyway back to the evenings in the dorm rooms: we are so cold that we start shaking and then proceed to put on scarves and beanies, double up the pants and the tops - just for a little exaggerated fun - then roll up in a comforter on plop on the couch. Yep, I've never given the any of it a second thought... until yesterday when I was coming back from the Darling Pavilion and on the double door entrance to the Omega dorms there was a notice that read, to the effect: the heater is out of order, maintainence will be fixing it shortly. So I'm going to go ahead and be optimistic and put all my chips in on the 'heater will be fixed in august' hand, with a little sidenote: just about the time the air conditioning goes wack.


Andy and I have been brainstorming effective ways to raise funds for our Germany mission trip within the last couple days. Why I say raise funds instead of fundraise is because IT'S NOT FUN!! Really I'd rather just work for the money - truth is that's pretty much what I've been doing these last couple months. Last nights meeting went pretty well - we played FIFA all night... hmmmm. Really, though, we came up with some pretty sweet plans, we just need to make some kind of calendar and plan of attack and I'm confident that we can put a dent into our $3,400 goal.
Lately I've just been trying to keep up with the paperwork that we have to submit to the Chicago Eagles. I received a new medical release form in the mail a couple days ago and we are to also submit a copy of a driver's license, ssc card and passport. After making the copy on my handy dandy three in one printer =), I was like, "hey, I wonder when my passport expires"... and what do ya know - Jan 22, 2006. Yep, you mathematician, that's in 4 days. Sweet - a rarity that I use this word for anything that's actually not sweet - but I'm sure you aren't taken offguard by the simple sarcasm. Anyway there's another wonderful thing I get to add to my 2DO list. I was kind of excited about getting my PJ's paycheck this friday, but now it's all going to my "i need a new passport fund". ha - with the exception of the cost, I think getting a new passport will be kind of adventerous - ok more like wanted or needed... I am fifteen in the picture and it was directly after a high school soccer practice... so let's go back... my freshman year we wore golden rod colored sweatshirts, and when I participate in any athletic activity I my face gets really red - just add the fact that my hair was pulled back and you've got a pretty good idea of how bad the pic is. you know what - instead of explaining to you I will just show you =).... my face is redder in the actual picture than in this scan...

No comments: