Tuesday, September 20, 2005

the saga of nicole's mad rush

futbol update:

On Saturday we beat Marian College from Wisconsin 8-0. We are now 4-3-0. I didn't score - but 3 assists doesn't hurt none. 'nuff said...

... except that Shari came to the game! it was originally scheduled for noon - and I only knew of the change to 3pm a couple days prior - so poor Shari showed up at Hydraflow at noon and to her dismay no game -then she drove to Cal State and again no dice. After the two failed attempts she called me, I let her know the changed time, I felt really bad, and then she came over. It was all good though because she got to see the dorms and my room and she even got some errands done with all the time to kill before the game. How sweet is she that she even stayed for my game amidst her busy schedule. Thanks Shari - and thanks for the snacks for the room!




the Saga of Nicole @ PAPA JOHN'S on Sunday night

okay so Sunday night all citizens of fullerton and brea were all starving and all craving pizza because we were on a mad rush ALL NIGHT. the delivery time peaked at an hour and a half and the phone rings collected to make a song that that became an instant hit which played as track number three on a broken record. so I can handle the rush, but my coworkers NOT SO MUCH. our drivers don't know how to answer phones or work the system, my insiders don't know how to slap dough, and only two of us could claim english as our first language on a consensus report.
one of my insiders who is fairly new - who will remain anonymous - not only speaks very little english but prides herself on being THE SLOWEST person ever to live on this planet called earth (I'm talking physically here). There's situations where I find her just nonchalantly walking around when boxes need labels, the make line needs stocking, pie crusts need toppings, phones need answering, and pizzas are hanging for dear life at the end of the belt oven awaiting their plummet to death a.k.a. the floor and ultimately subject to REMAKE. What's even better is when she is performing tasks SHE ALWAYS ASKS FOR ASSISTANCE - so not only do II have this job at PJ's, but I also work for THE ONE WHO WILL REMAIN ANONYMOUS.

...ABOUT THE INSIDER WHO WILL REMAIN ANONYMOUS... so this lady comes in for a pick-up and I scroll the list to find her name and - low and behold - it's missing. My first instict is to ask if maybe they called the wrong PJ's or asked for it to be delivered (these are usually the only two reasons why their order would not be listed). The lady insisted that neither of these situations applied. So naturally I look her up in the system and find that there was an order placed under her name and address for DELIVERY for 2 pizzas and that it had already left. I kindly told her this information and she became very disgruntled. She replied "well my daughter made the order but I had her change it to pick up because your delivery time was horribly long" and that "I'm babysitting this child (she had a young girl with her) and she is being picked up in 15 minutes."
THE INSIDER WHO WILL REMAIN ANONYMOUS happened to be the very insder who fatefully answered the phone, took the order and, by no surprise, had no idea what had gone wrong during the transaction of information. I apologized dryly for the mistake on behalf of THE INSIDER WHO WILL REMAIN ANONYMOUS and whipped up for the stick in rear lady two pizzas in 9 minutes flat (that is, 2 minutes to slap out and top and 7 minutes in the oven) - and FREE OF CHARGE. When I finally hand the pizzas - all pretty and boxed and ready to enjoy - to the lady she says, "what about the third one?" ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
I told her that there was only two pizzas on the delivery order and while in the process of pulling it up on the screen for her she stopped me and started getting histerical to the point of near tears. JUST KNOW I HAD NO SYMPATHY FOR THIS OUTBURST. "I needed this to be a pick up, your coworker didn't even apologize to me, I have this little girl with me who is being picked up in 15 minutes and now I'm sending her home without eating dinner and blah blah blah and wah wah wah...." LADY JUST LEAVE WITH THE PIZZAS AND ALL WILL BE WELL. So I apologize incredibly insincerely once more as she asks me to speak to the manager who would rather me just fake being the assistant manager for him and deal with the problem. Finally she leaves and then after all the fuss and turmoil I realize the following:

THE LADY GOT FREE PIZZA.
THE LADY WOULD HAVE BEEN CUTTING IT CLOSE WITHOUT THE EXTRA 9 MINUTES ANYWAY (way to use us as a scapegoat for not feeding the kid).
THE GIRL COULD HAVE EATEN THE PIZZA IN THE CAR ON THE WAY HOME.
THE LADY GOT FREE PIZZA.
oh and my driver came back a little later to complain that no one was home for one of his deliveries. I'll give you three guesses as to whose residence that was and the first two don't count.



At the conclusion of soccer practice we got a surprise visit by a rainbow. It was extra bright, although the pictures don't do it justice. Everyone was marveling at the fact that there was two rainbows when - really guys come on - it's one rainbow and the other is a reflection. Did you know that if you were above the rainbow- let's say on a really tall mountai - you would be able to see that the rainbow is in fact a full circle and not just an arch?
After the rainbow came intense lightening and thunderstorms and, yes, IT RAINED. I was in monday night HOAR class at the time and our lights were flickering a bit - it was sweet. I can still hear all the girls scream every time thunder harrasses my ear drums - and this happened ALL NIGHT. Really it sounds like a war is going on outside and planes are flying by dropping bombs.

Did you know that the lightening we see is really traveling from the earth to the sky? Well here you go... the earth's surface has a positive charge, so during condensation the water leaves the earth with a positive charge. These water droplets that raise create a negative charge in the base of a cloud. An ionized corridor sends a massive discharge of electrons from the sky and causes a huge build up on the earth's surface. The lightening strike we hear and see is going from the earth back up into the clouds through the ionized corridor - also called a return stroke.

A lightening bolt is hotter than the surface of the sun. The thunder sound is created because of the rapid heating of the air, it expanding and then coming back to its original state. Have I bored you yet? Well good, because I'm done =).

No comments: