Friday, August 01, 2008

MAMMA MIA! with Mama D.


It ended on a bad note... literally: Pierce Brosnan cannot sing!

Rex Harrison spoke most of his lyrics in My Fair Lady, and it worked. Richard Gere found similar success with his performance in Chicago. But casting hopes on Brosnan was a professional mistake!

Don't get me wrong; I loved the movie musical. It made me grin and giggle and fall in love - and pretty much want to get married on a secluded Greek island with brilliant colors and views of rocky mountainsides shooting out of and endless ocean. But every time Brosnan opened his mouth I found myself looking down and away in embarrassment.

My pre Mamma Mia! experience was a bit tainted, as a Starbucks regular shared her anti-Brosnan vocals sentiment to me earlier in the week. But even my Mama turned her head and cringed when Brosnan felt a song coming on.

Mom and Paps saw Mamma Mia! on stage in Vegas. She walked away from the performance eager to buy the soundtrack. I can't say that I'm a fan of ABBA (I heard "Voulez-Vous one too many times on shuffle during 8-hour Jamba shifts... even back-to-back on rare occasions), but it was a fun idea to improve their songs with a romantic comedy (sorry ABBA fans!).

Meryl Streep was "dynamite", Colin Firth was perfect, the cast vibrant and the tone energetic. Brosnan was a mistake. But go see it anyway! You won't regret it.

No comments: