Sunday, July 06, 2008

the beverage master

... an acquaintance at the gym nick-named me.


TMs at Jamba

I am barista by day, chief blending officer (no lie) by night. This beverage master does not need a liquor license.

As I am finishing up these blasted LSU courses I started A YEAR AGO... I am working at Starbucks and Jamba Juice.

They are very similar food-vendors when it comes to operations and customer service ("WOW" the customer and the "Starbucks experience")... but they have two distinct cultures.

Jamba is loud, vibrant and healthy.
Starbucks is laid-back, neutral and fattening.

At Jamba I am the oldest employee, with the exception of my GM. All of the Team Members are minors, and my other Lead (shift manager) is 20. At Sbux I am on the younger side, as we have a handful of Partners over 30.

For now the gigs aren't too shabby, but after this year I hope to say goodbye to the food industry for life :)

I work at the Jamba in Covington. If you walk outside the store you can see three different Starbucks coffeehouses.


Go out on a limb. That's where the fruit is.

3 comments:

Gvasnapshots said...

With $4+ gas prices, have you noticed fewer people coming into Jamba Juice and Starbucks this year compared to last year?

Nicole said...

We actually have been setting records at the Covington Jamba against the forecasted sales from the year before. The weekend of the fourth was slow, but the weekend before I had back-to-back near $3000 days. Every sunny day brings in at least $2000, which is high for a store with our location.

I am new to sbux and only a Barista (not involved with cash handling). I wouldn't be able to make a valid judgment about their sales or whether there has been a decline.

At dinner a couple weeks ago my dad asked me which customers would give up first: Jamba or Sbux in the wake of our struggling economy. My guess is that coffee is too popular, and people can't go without their cup of joe. They might not be getting it at Starbucks, but however they are getting it, they probably will be getting it before they buy 5 servings of fruit in a 24 ounce blend.

Nicole said...

McDonald's is selling espresso now. I really enjoyed the radio ad about "susie losing her toyota prias to chai tea lattes" and "ryan losing his 80-inch plasma to white mochas." That's the gist anyway. I've noticed that even the $2 street-side drive-thrus are upping the price on their products. It used to be $2 any size and drink.